1040 Whitley Ave., Corcoran CA 93212   |   Phone: (559) 992-3115

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The program assists veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, the program offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.
Services that may be provided by the VR&E Program include comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation, vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning, job training, job-seeking skills, resume development, assistance find and keeping a job including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations, post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school, and independent living services for veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities.

Active Duty service members are eligible if they expect to reeve an honorable discharge upon separation of from activate duty. Veterans are eligible if they have received, or will receive, a dis chard that is other than dishonorable, and have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or note from the VA. Active Duty and veterans must apply for this benefit.
The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the date of separation from active military service or the date the veteran was first notified by the VA of a service-connected disability rating. The basic period of eligibility nay be extended if a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor has a serious employment handicap,
The Kings County Veterans Service Office issues Veteran I.D. cards to honorably discharged veterans, Contact Joe Wright if you would like to receive a periodic veteran’s information by email. There are many state and federal benefits and programs available to veterans and their dependents. To find out if you are eligible for any of these benefits visit or call our office We can and will assist you in completing all required application forms. You can get information on the Web from the Kings County Veterans Service Office webpage at countyofkings.com.
–Joe Wright, retired Navy Master Chief Petty Officer, is the Veterans Service Officer for Kings County. Send your questions to the Veterans Service Office, 1400 W. Lacey Blvd., Hanford, CA 93230.

Related Articles


Cookie, fudge contest winners

The Corcoran Journal and Corcoran Chamber cookie and fudge contest winners were chosen last week. The cookie contest was decided by just one point and taking home first place was Tiffany Singleton who submitted snickerdoodles. In second place in the cookie contest was Patti Rodriguez who won with her Raspberry Ribbon Cookies.

read more